We’ve already talked about this but:
- The line “You would rescue Peeta at the earliest opportunity or you will find yourself another mockingjay” did not happen.
- Peeta’s rescue is not a priority for Katniss in Mockingjay.
- Katniss spends two books with the Mockingjay role pushed into her general direction and, in Mockingjay, she actively grabs a hold of it.
- because she wants to.
- And that’s marvelous!
- It has nothing to do with Peeta.
- if you’re one of those people who are going to link everything Katniss does to ~Peeta: this is the context of how that goes, go to your books:
- "Peeta calls for a ceasefire under Capitol duress"
- "There can’t be a ceasefire"
- "What are you going to do about it?"
- "I’m going to become the Mockingjay"
- She decides to become the Mockingjay after Peeta calls for a ceasefire and she realizes how wrong a ceasefire would be, for all of them.
- and idek about you but that’s a much more interesting reading of both Peeta AND Katniss as characters than frankly reducing such a pivotal moment in this godforsaken series to ~toastbabies, when the text does not allow it.